Friday, March 25, 2011

The Kardashians Takeover

Gabler makes many key points in his article.  Most importantly if we, as viewers, did not watch reality tv then it would not exist.  The outrageously high ratings are fueling the reality tv fire.  It seems like there are more and more new reality shows coming out each year.  As an audience, we have influenced reality to be more outrageous.  In most reality shows there is always at least one person who is just over the top or controversial.  The networks know this will bring them ratings and big bucks.

I don't spend much of my time in front of the television, but I will be the first to admit that I always catch the new episode of the Kardashian shows ( I like all of the spinoffs and am pretty excited for the new one coming called Khloe and Lamarr).  Currently, it would be the show Kourtney and Kim Take New York.  I do not consider this real "reality" because they are celebrities and live differently than the average person.  But it does follow them around on their day to day business and activities. I definitely enjoy watching this show.  I like Kim the best. I just think she is so pretty and I love her style.  I like to see what the sisters are wearing in the show. This show definitely values sex appeal because all of the cast is incredibly good looking.  I would also say it values competition because they are all businessmen/women and are trying to get ahead in their careers. I would also go out on a limb and say intelligence, although most people don't see it.  These sisters have turned their name into a brand, a household name.  They are millionaires and are not even big movies stars or entertainers, so they definitely have something going on up there(in their head).

The last episode was titled "A Dash of Respect"
In this episode it is the grand opening of the sisters' new Dash store in NYC.  In the past episodes this has been what they have been working on.  Their sister Khloe makes a special trip from LA to NYC for the store opening. Kourtney and Khloe are very close and spend a lot of time together during her visit to the city, and they leave out Kim.  Kim gets hurt and jealous, but they end up talking it over and everything works out.  Also in this episode Scott (Kourtney's boyfriend) lands the cover of a fitness magazine, and films him at his shoot. He is very rude to his new assistant and the guy ends up quitting.

6 comments:

  1. "they definitely have something going on up there(in their head)."

    Aren't they sort of using their celebrity ("real" or otherwise) to exploit us as viewers? They're making pretty big bucks off of us every time we tune in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on which definition of exploit you are considering. According to the world english dictionary it can have two different meanings(negative or positive).
    1.to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc), esp unethically or unjustly for one's own ends
    2. to make the best use of

    I definitely think the second definition applies to them and pretty much every celebrity, entertainer, news caster, and professional athlete. These people are businessmen(women). They know their talents and best assets and use them to make a living. Their job is to entertain their viewers and fans. This pretty much applies to every person in the world and their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can go for that rationale...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how u said they aren't really living in reality because they are more fortunate than the average person. That's a very good point. I too like all the spinoffs I just love their family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this show! I don't watch it every week or follow all the episodes but, when if its on I will definitely watch it. I like how you said "In most reality shows there is always at least one person who is just over the top or controversial." Its so true, I feel like it wouldn't be a reality show with at least one person doing outrageous things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be the first to admit that I don't watch this show. I feel like they would not be successful if they would not have had mom and dads' money to back them up in the first place. I have always found the Kardashians to be incredibly beautiful, but also incredibly fake.

    ReplyDelete