Friday, April 8, 2011

Censorship

A world with out books would be awful.  We would lose all of our history, literature, tradition, and even part of our culture.  The world would be full of people with a very limited amount of knowledge with very narrow minded views.  People would have no way of understanding our world, how things work, or where we came from.  "The more you read, the more you know..."

I would definitely miss books if they were forbidden.  I love to read and learn new things. If I read a book and then watch a show or movie of the book, I always seem to like the book better.  Books give so much more detail.  They allow you to choose your actors for the roles of each character.  I think if books were no longer "allowed" I would be one of those people who would hide books in my house or something.

I think we metaphorically "burn books" today with our increased reliance on technology.  There are those people who would rather rent the movie than read the book.  Our generation now uses Google or Bing instead of picking up a dictionary to look up a word.  We are all about quickness and getting stuff NOW. Most people feel  they do not have time to read a book. I guess books could be considered dangerous because they raise questions. They allow you to think outside of your small bubble and learn about what else the world has to offer. Books would be especially dangerous to a government who is trying to control their citizens (like in 1984).  They would not want people to question their motives, how things used to be, or compare them to something better.

3 comments:

  1. "I think we metaphorically "burn books" today with our increased reliance on technology. "- I agree with you. We use technology for everything today. wether its reading a book (kindle) or research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your metaphor! I too said the same thing we rely and spend more time with technology rather than relying on the source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're completely right. Everytime I see a book that is made into a move, the book is almost ALWAYS better... It just seems like there is so much more thought being put into the book, and that makes it more entertaining and more fun to read.

    ReplyDelete